Arrival in the UK
This guidance note provides you with important last minute reminders and information about your arrival and immediate practicalities for your first few days in Cambridge. Please read it carefully.
All new students to St. Andrews College go through the registration process and this will take place in the student common room at 9 Station Road, Cambridge on the first day of term. All new students will undergo an English and maths test on arrival to the college.
If you know you will be arriving at St Andrews after the first day of term you must let us know by contacting the College Registrar, David McEwan-Cox
The college has strict deadlines for late arrivals so please keep us informed of any delays. If you arrive at the college any time after registration day, please report in the first instance to the Principal who has his office in Free School Lane.
How do I pay my fees?
You can pay your fees by the following methods:
Cheque or bankers draft (which must be in sterling and drawn on a UK bank). Please make sure that it is payable to 'St Andrews Tutorial Services Ltd'. Please do not bring a cheque payable to yourself for your college fees as we will not be able to accept it. Credit card (a 2% surcharge is payable)
Debit card (a 2% surcharge is payable on foreign debit cards, there is no surcharge payable for using a UK debit card)
Bank transfer to our bank account (please see your pro-forma invoice or your first terms invoice for our bank details). ALL transfer fees must be paid by the remitter. Please ensure that your name and student number is on the transfer so that we know who the funds are from.
Please do NOT bring large amounts of cash to pay your school fees as this is not very safe.
Your fees are payable on or before the first day of term, so please make sure that you have organised payment before you leave home.
When can I move into my accommodation?
The Accommodation Officer will advise you of your address and the date you can move in when we have received your flight details. Email Accommodation Officer
Please give at least 1 weeks notice before you arrive in the UK so that we can arrange your accommodation. Please do not arrive in the UK without anywhere to live.
What if I am delayed?
If you have started your journey and need to contact St Andrews in an emergency, you can call us Monday to Friday from 09.00 to 17.00 on +44 (O) 1223 305549. At all other times please call +44 (O) 7985 026835 this is an out-of-hours emergency contact number. If you are ringing from within the UK dial 07985 026835.
What documents do I need to show when I enter the UK
All documentation you have received from the college.
Your passport and visa documentation.
Remember to keep all important documents in your hand luggage.
How do I travel from the airport to the College?
The school can book a taxi for students from the airport to the school. Prices for the various UK airports are listed below. Students should have the cash to pay the taxi driver on arrival at the school in Cambridge.
Heathrow Airport (all terminals) - campus £130
Gatwick Airport (all terminals) - campus £145
Stansted Airport - campus £80
Luton Airport - campus £90
If you require a taxi, please email your name, course and flight details to our Accommodation Officer Please note, no other forms of transfer are available from the school.
How do organise my new life in Cambridge?
To dial an international number from the UK dial 00 then the country code followed by the area code and then the local telephone number.
· Mobile phones: Using your mobile phone in the UK to call home can be expensive. There are many mobile phone shops in Cambridge where you will be able to purchase UK SIM cards to use with your own mobile. Your phone must be “unlocked” to allow you to use this card.
· Phone cards: Swift call phone cards are available from the Students’ Union Shop (Ruskin Building) and can be used from any telephone. Pick up the handset; dial the 0800 number given on the card and you will be asked to give your Personal Identification Number (PIN) which is also given on the card and you will then be able to make your telephone call.
· Payphones: using coins and credit cards can be found in the following locations: the entrance to the Mumford Theatre, East Rd, Burleigh Street, Railway Station & Coach Station.
Branches of all major UK banks can be found in the High Street. Cash dispensing machines, which usually take cards from banks worldwide (look for the appropriate symbol on the cash machine), can be found at: Grafton Centre, Market Square/City Centre and Mill Road.
Opening a bank account
Most students need to open a bank account in the UK especially if they plan to work while they are studying. Banks are very strict about the documentation they require and as there may be a delay in opening a bank account once you arrive it is important that you bring enough money to pay for food, rent, etc. We recommend that you bring either a debit card to enable you to withdraw money at a cash point (ATM) or approximately £500 in travellers’ cheques and some cash. Further information about opening a bank account will be provided on arrival.
Bringing money into the UK
Anyone coming to the UK from a country outside the European Union (EU) carrying the cash equivalent to 10,000 Euros (~£9,000) or more (including money in other currencies) must declare it to the UK Customs at the port of entry to the UK. Cash means currency notes, coins, travellers’ cheques and bankers’ drafts.
The closest supermarkets to the college are Sainsbury’s and Tesco Express. There are two main shopping areas in Cambridge; the city centre and the Grafton Centre. The Grafton Centre is a modern shopping mall with many shops, a multi screen cinema and a food hall on the first floor. Shops are generally open from
09.00 – 17.30 Monday to Saturday and 11.00 – 17.00 on Sunday. Most supermarkets are open until 22.00 although some are open 24 hours. The Student Union will be running a free bus service as part of the International Orientation Programme. Further details will be provided upon arrival.
Buying Food & Shopping in Cambridge
- Co-operative at the far end of Mill Road
- Tesco Express, East Road
- Sainsbury’s in Sidney Street
- Marks & Spencer in the Market Square
- Asda, Coldhams Lane
- Tesco, Newmarket Road
- Winfield Chinese Supermarket (variety of noodles from Malaysia, China, Japan, Korea and Hong Kong) in Mill Road
- Cho Mee (Chinese and Malaysian food) in Mill Road
- Arjuna Whole Foods (100% vegetarian, organic and natural foods) in Mill Road
- Spicegate International (international food and drink) in Mill Road
- Al-amin Halal Butchers (Asian, Persian, Afro-Caribbean Food) in Mill Road
Take Away Food on Mill Road
- Golden Curry (Indian)
- Rice House (Chinese)
- Bosphorus (Kebab, Pizza, Grill House)
- Fagitos (Kebab, Pizza, Grill House)
Take Away Food in the City Centre
- McDonalds in Rose Crescent
- Boots in the Grafton Centre and City Centre
- Superdrug in Fitzroy Street and City Centre
Try the following shops:
- Debenhams (Grafton Centre)
- Primark (Burleigh Street)
- Tesco and Asda
- John Lewis (St. Andrew’s Street)
- Charity Shops, e.g. Oxfam, Red Cross, etc., second hand (old) clothes and household items at reasonable prices. They are all situated in Burleigh Street.
If you have a medical condition you should bring details of your condition and treatment with you. Details of any vaccinations will also be required for your medical form/records. You will be given information about registering with a doctor during the Induction/Orientation Programme.
An NHS Dentist is located at 36 Chesterton Rd, Cambridge Tel: 01223 319787. Opticians are located in the Grafton Centre and Fitzroy Street as well as the City Centre.
We wish you a safe journey and look forward to welcoming you to St. Andrews College Cambridge.